SIL801 Special Topics in Multimedia System
Assignment 4: Transform Coding
Due Date: April 3, 2023
Implement the following parts of the transform coding/decoding.
- Convert the image to gray scale (monochromatic) image using an in-built function
- Division of image to blocks (sub images)
- Transform of blocks
- Truncation or quantization (can try different strategies).
- Inverse transform and reconstruction of image from the retained
- Use Discrete Fourier Transform and Discrete Cosine Transform and compare and
show the error enountered for the same number of coefficients retained for each.
- In this part use DWT (Haar) using non-standard decomposition and perform
quantization in different sub bands. Compare performance with DFT and DCT
for the same number of total coefficients retained.
You may do the implementation in MATLAB or any other programming environment such as C/C++/Java
with appropriate library for handling images.
The submission should include the code and a report (pdf) of the analysis
of results. This may be combined in one zip file.